Saturday, September 29, 2012

Autumn & Cartoons

I'm not sure that there's a better pairing in the existence of the universe. Here's why:


Autumn:


      1. Fall is beautiful. And wet. And just makes me happy. This picture was taken at Butterfield Canyon, where Taylor and I went because we thought it would be cool. We were right.
 
      2. Someone randomly decided that a swing would go really well up on that hill, and we just so happened to stop on the spot that had it. Taylor could be sad, nostalgic, pensive, or simply beaming with joy and the clear air, slight chill, and breathtaking scenery would fit her mood well. Also, fall means we get to wear jackets, coats, scarves, hats, and everyone wears pants, which are the best.
 
      With all of that, it must also be understood that what I'm describing are merely side facts of Autumn, while what I really love is Autumn-ness. It's the art of the season and the way it reflects on my emotions that really captures my attention. It causes me to look back across my life, to look inward and attempt to solve the eternal riddles of self-definition and self-exploration. It also causes me to step out and be with my family, to revel in their happiness or to experience a conjoined sadness with those who could use my comfort. There's just so much emotion in Autumn, and so many things that bring it about. I love it. It's beautiful.
 
 
 
Cartoons:
 
      Let me explain what I mean to say when I use the word "Cartoon." There are very few things made within the last four years that I would ever call a cartoon, even if they are a 2d animation commonly known by that name. The issue is this: almost every modern cartoon has lost each principle of what made old cartoons good. With the exception of such diamonds in the rough as Phineas and Ferb, modern cartoons don't have any true humor, they don't mimic popular culture in quirky ways, they have very little of the slapstick humor of older cartoons, and they stand for very little. They target older and older audiences and sometimes even try to apply the same things to younger audiences. Where has the innocence of cartoons gone? Nowadays, they just try to be as strange as possible, or they try to catch the audience off guard in some way. Old cartoons could have the same plot in every episode and build up such a strong devotion and love!
I drew a picture to help illustrate what I've been trying to say:
 
 
 
      You see, Gendy Tartakovsky is the greatest, and he hasn't truly left the business. He still directs cartoons and animations, for example, Hotel Transylvania, which I think is out, is his work. Here's a link to its web page if you want more info. Anyways, the reason why I say he "left the business," is because he no longer makes old style cartoons. He's still great and I love his work, like The Clone Wars,  which was simply an amazing series, but it didn't carry any of the nostalgia of childhood. Also, Cartoon Network, which contained most of my absolute favorites, has completely changed its approach. It makes some live action shows for crying out loud! How can it be Cartoon Network if it has non-cartoon programs? Also, I miss Cartoon Cartoon Fridays. They were happy.
 
 
Unity
 
      The reason why I have these two paired together is because they have some similar effects on me. They evoke a strong sense of nostalgia and introspect; they make me incredibly happy and outwardly so, but they bring me a small sense of sadness and pull me into myself at the same time. I love them both for that. Happy Autumn everybody. Find something you love this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment